Friday, January 10, 2014

Handmade Promenade - a huge success

I'm happy to say say that the Pop Up Shop was a ginormous success for me this year, even though I got a late start. I ended up almost quadrupling the sales that I had last year. While I was a little disappointed at my late start, I'm super proud of what I accomplished in such a short time.

This was the third year Handmade Promenade did a Holiday Pop Up Shop and this was the third year I participated. It's awesome to see this event grow and become more successful every year. I'm looking forward to what next year brings.

This year HP and a few other shops along Mass Ave set up shop in Carmel to cater to those who might not want to drive all the way into the city to get their handmade fix. Only a few vendors from HP were invited to participate and I was fortunate enough to be invited to be a part of that group.

In order to prepare for both locations I crocheted just about every moment I could. On the bus on the way to and from work, at work (not while I was clocked in), on the way to and from the gym, in the car running errands with a friend. If I was in a space to crochet, I was crocheting. I designated a couple of days to staying home and sewing as well. I was able to get quite a bit of product in, though I did have to sacrifice sending out product to a couple of the consignment shops I sell in.

A week after the shops opened up I received an email asking for more texting gloves (a newish product for me). I was excited to get that email. I got busy and made as many as I could. About a week before Christmas I asked what my current sales were and I'd already hit a grand with about a week and a half to go before the shop closed. I'd already doubled last years sales at that point. If that was all I made I'd have been totally fine with that. Of course a little more doesn't hurt.

I was a bit bummed I wasn't able to participate in another holiday pop up shop in Bloomington. I just didn't have the funds for the application fee or for the supplies to make more product. My guess is that had I been able to have my items in that shop as well I probably would've made enough to take a month off from work. Not being able to participate in that shop taught me to be prepared for the holidays. If want to be able to quit my day job, I've got a lot of work to do.

I've already started working on making product for next years shops and I'm starting to really work on my online shops. There is a lot of work to be done this year. While all the stress of trying to get everything done was worth it, I don't want to go through all that stress again this year. And...I want to be able to apply to a couple more shops and my first craft fair. I want to be totally prepared. Mix in making quilts for 100 Quilts, 100 Kids...it's it's own full time job.

Welp, I'm off to finish up another pair of gloves and maybe take a nap.

No comments: