After years of not touching the sewing machine I own, that I bought when I wanted to try my hand at sewing, I touched it again. (that sounds a little dirty)
I don't even remember why I decided to take up sewing again a couple of weeks ago. I just know I got the bug and started looking at fabric and then started looking at blogs and then watched
So this is the first thing I've made after watching all those tutorials and looking at all those blogs. It's called a sausage or tube pillow case and I even tried French seams. It turned out pretty nice I think, especially for a first try. I believe it is called a sausage/tube pillow case because of how it is put together. You line up all your raw edges, roll up the case and sew it all up like a sausage and then you flip it right side out. All your edges end up encased.
Here is the YouTube tutorial I watched: Easy Tube Pillow Case Tutorial by Missouri Quilt Co. And here is a blog tutorial using the same method and then doing French seams: Pillow cases w/ French Seams by Notes from Patches (scroll about half way down to see the French seams portion). The only difference with mine is that I cut my accent band fabric 1.5" wide, because I didn't want that much of an accent band. The fabric I used is VeloCity by Jessica Hogarth (for both the cuff and the main fabric, the white is Kona I believe). I bought it at one of my local fabric shops: Crimson Tate (cute little shop, I love it and I like to support local businesses when I can).