Sunday, July 1, 2012

practice makes perfect

I finished my first quilted envelope style pillow case the other night. This is the first project I've finished that is a) not practice and b) not for me. I think I did pretty well. I created it for Mommy for Reals. I plan to try to finish up another one before popping it into the mail. I love this fabric and think it'd be great for a teen girl. I'll have to purchase some more for my stash. No pictures of it on a pillow because I don't have a pillow to put in it. Adding that to my things to buy list. That list is getting pretty long.


I'm not sure if I basted it correctly. I didn't feel like getting on Google to look up how to baste. The colors in the picture on the top right look wonky because I didn't feel like waiting until morning. I had the itch to get quilting. I kept telling me I'd do one more row and then I'd stop and then never stopped. Then I said I'd wait until morning to bind it and that didn't happen either. I finished it all. I think I need a walking foot for quilting. My lines are less than perfect and it kinda bugs, but practice makes perfect. My binding is getting much better. I don't like the finishing up part of binding though. I might have to invest in the binding tool.

I'm linking this post up with Lily's Quilts Fresh Sewing Day. This is the only non-practice sewing item I've finished in June. I'm still working on Oh Lucy! and a couple of other projects. (Looking over the pictures and they look a little crappy. Oy!)

Linking up with Lily's Quilts Small Blog Meet as well. Thanks for stopping through and visiting my blog. I'm very new to quilting and enjoying it a lot. My blog isn't just quilting. I like to partake in a couple of other types of crafts too.



      

Also linking up with JAQS Studio Made by Me! Wednesdays. 

9 comments:

prsd4tim2 said...

Hi! You were two above me on Lily's Fresh Quilting list, so I stopped by to say hello. I love your pillow top! Congratulations on a great finish. I've been wanting to do a plus quilt, but haven't managed it yet.

And I'm not sure anyone likes finishing up binding! No matter how you do it it's tedious. There's a pretty good tute on Moda Bake Shop (search for it because it was a couple of years ago), and Ali at A squared W just did a zig zag binding tute last week. If you message me, I'd be glad to send you the link.

Tessa @ TheSewingChick said...

Great job! I don't think there are any steadfast rules about basting - as long as it is held together for quilting. I laughed at your comments about staying up late to get it finished. I have done this many times!!

Unknown said...

Hi, looks like a great finish! I love your fabric choices, I can never wait until morning for photographs either but I really need to start making myself.

Foster said...

Definitely get a walking foot for the quilting! Not that I can tell anything from the photos, they are lovely, but you will be much happier with a walking foot. I love your fabric colors.

Sarah said...

What a cute pillow case! Nice fabric choices.

Amanda said...

Congrats on making your first give-away item! I love giving quilts away. All my friends are having babies right now, so it's an easy time to find people to give them to.

Melissa said...

Thanks everyone for stopping by and leaving me kind words and advice. It is all much appreciated.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

I love my walking foot and I'm use sooo many pins when basting. Your first quilting - you've done a great job! Dropped by via JAQS Studio Linky Party, good to meet you :)

Anonymous said...

You're so talented. I am always in awe of moms who know how to sew so well. My hands never seem to agree with my mind's imagination. It can't make what I'm thinking. LOL. Followed you via GFC, girl :)

Jen
whyyyjen.blogspot.com